Traffic Changes for Grandma's Marathon Weekend | News
The Duluth Police Department would like to remind residents and visitors about traffic advisories for the William A. Irvin 5K race on Friday, June 21 and all the Grandma's Marathon events on Saturday, June 22.
William A. Irvin 5K:
The race begins at 6:00 P.M. Harbor Drive, behind the DECC will be closed to traffic at 3:00 pm. Motorists will be diverted off Railroad Street beginning at 5:30 pm for the duration of the race. There will be temporary “No Parking” signs on Railroad Street and Harbor Drive. Violators will be tagged and towed.
Authorities say traffic delays will occur for approximately one hour as Railroad Street is closed from Garfield Avenue to the DECC Entrance. No Southbound traffic on 5th Avenue West will be allowed past the I-35 ramps, and the 5th Ave W Connector to Railroad St will be closed.
Access to the DECC will be through the North Gate (on Railroad Street), from Lake Avenue, and the only exits will be through the Ramp onto Railroad St and onto northbound 5th Ave W.
Traffic should return to normal by 7:30 pm.
Marathon, Half Marathon, & National Championships:
On Friday, June 21, Canal Park Drive from Railroad Street to Buchanan Street will be closed for Grandma's finish line set up beginning at noon, and remain closed until after the race on Saturday.
No traffic will be allowed along Scenic Highway 61, between Duluth and Two Harbors on Saturday, June 22 after 4:15 A.M.
- Lakewood, Homestead, Ryan, and McQuade Roads will be closed from the Highway 61 Expressway to Scenic Highway 61 at 4:15 A.M.
- London Road will be closed at 5:45 A.M.
- Superior Street from 12th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Harbor Drive, Commerce Street, Lake Place Drive and Canal Park closed at 6:00 a.m.
PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE RACE COURSE.
Parking in encouraged at the Bayfront Park Lots, the DECC, and the Aquarium Lot.
Traffic to and from Park Point will encounter long delays Friday evening and Saturday.
On Saturday, during the Marathon, the only way motorists will be able to reach Park Point and the Canal Park area will be from 5th Avenue West to Railroad Street or Garfield Avenue to Railroad Street. An officer there will then direct them along the detour route to reach the Park Point and the Canal Park area without crossing the Race Course.
- Northbound traffic on I-35 will be diverted up Mesaba Avenue to 2nd Street.
- EAST DETOUR-East bound traffic will use 2nd street to 21st Avenue East, then south to Superior Street, and continuing East. This detour will take effect 05:45 a.m.
- WEST DETOUR-West bound traffic on Superior Street will turn North onto 21st Avenue East, then continue West on 3rd Street. This detour will take effect at 05:45 a.m.
- The northbound lane of I-35 will be closed at 05:45 a.m. from Mesaba Avenue to 26th Avenue East.
- The southbound lane of I-35 from 21st and 26th Avenues East will be closed at 4:15 a.m.
The freeway, and other roadways closed for the Marathon will reopen at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
Motorists should slow down and be alert to special signing and lane closures on Highway 61 Expressway just south of Two Harbors.